Home Equity Loans
If you have your own property, you can get a loan for a large amount. How it works: you have an apartment, you leave it on bail and get borrowed money on favorable terms for you. This common practice has its own characteristics, pros and cons. And before applying for a loan, it is better to know them all.
Consider the pros and cons of home equity loans.
Pros of home equity loans
Consider the positive aspects of this type of lending.
- A loan secured by real estate allows you to get much more money than standard programs. The more your apartment is worth, the more money you get. The amount is influenced by the average market value of the collateral and the client’s solvency;
- If you choose a lender correctly, you will not have to overpay. The interest rate is usually quite low in such cases. Therefore, if you have an expensive apartment, then you can get a very large amount of money at a very small percentage;
- You can extend the term of your debt;
- There is a possibility to get a loan without guarantors;
- The borrower remains the owner of the apartment. However, he or she cannot sell the home until the debt is paid off;
- You do not have to report the loan purpose to the lender. Some lenders do not even require proof of income.
Cons of home equity loans
This type of lending usually raises concerns and doubts among borrowers, i.e. carries the risk of losing your own home. Therefore, before applying, it is necessary to clarify all the nuances with lawyers and correctly assess your solvency.
Let’s review the disadvantages of the transaction:
- The risk of losing your home. If you stop paying the bills, then one day your property will be put up for auction. It does not matter that this is the only residential property of the borrower or that minors are registered in the apartment. These arguments will in no way prevent the bank from taking the apartment;
- Big fine. If you are late in payments, you will have to pay big fines. The percentage is set by the contract. With a long non-repayment for a long time, the amount will only increase;
- Other expenses. To get a loan, you will have to spend money on expert assessments and insurance services.
You should never rush with long-term loans. In this case, anything can happen. For example, the loss of the main source of income. In this case, you risk losing your own home. Therefore, you do not need to overestimate your capabilities. Consult with a lawyer before applying to think over all possible situations and outcomes.
Useful tips for borrowers
- Never rush to apply for such loans because various unforeseen situations can always occur. It is convenient to apply for such a loan when you are married and both spouses earn;
- Do not partner with questionable creditors. There are many companies on the market that give loans secured by an apartment even without assessing the solvency. Most likely, deception and loss of housing will follow;
- Seek advice and help from specialists. Then they will help you choose a reliable lender, collect documents, take into account all the nuances of a loan secured by an apartment. Experts carefully study the requirements of the lender and help you not to be deceived.